This committee, chaired by the Vice Provost, reviews and evaluates the use of space and requests for space, determines or recommends space reassignments, and develops and advises the campus administration on plans and policies for use of existing space and for capital improvements needed for the Berkeley campus.
To achieve these goals, SACI:
- Advises the administration on individual proposals for major and minor capital improvement projects and recommends priorities for the campus’s Capital Improvement Program.
- Makes final decisions on most minor space matters and presents recommendations to the Chancellor for final approval if the resources involved are large.
- Has two standing subcommittees (Honorific Namings and Public Outdoor Art Installations) and a number of ad hoc subcommittees. Building space subcommittees are established to review space issues in multi-unit buildings and recommend internal building space reassignments.
- For major capital project proposals, appoints Academic Effect Study subcommittees (also known as Program subcommittees) from faculty nominated by the Senate to examine and advise on such proposals at an early stage in their development.
- Administers the campus’s Temporary Building Policy, receives presentations on project designs, and provides advice on a variety of issues related to space.
- As composed of faculty, ex officiosenate members, administrators, and has one graduate student member and one undergraduate student member.
- Meets twice a semester.
Requests for the assignment of additional space should conform to Campus Principles for the Management of Space.
If your department has a space need that cannot be met within assigned divisional resources, please direct your request to the Vice Provost for Academic & Space Planning for evaluation and further consideration.